$1.7m missing from Menachem Stark's bank account
- Money missing from a $2m account belonging to Menachem Stark and his business partner Israel Perlmutter
- Stark's body found strangled and burned in dumpster on January 3
- Before his death Stark was desperately trying to come up with money to pay off creditors
- Bankruptcy court wants to depose Perlmutter over the missing money
By Louise Boyle
PUBLISHED: 08:34 EST, 23 January 2014 | UPDATED: 08:34 EST, 23 January 2014
A murdered slumlord's bank account is missing $1.7 million after the funds were 'improperly removed', an investigation has revealed.
The money has gone missing from a $2million account belonging to Menachem Stark and his business partner Israel Perlmutter.
Stark was abducted on January 2 from outside his Brooklyn office. His charred and strangled corpse was found the next day in a dumpster behind a convenience store in Great Neck, Long Island.
Scroll down for video
Murdered: The charred body of Menachem Stark, a father-of-seven, was found in a Long Island dumpster. $1.7million has now been reported missing from one of his bank accounts
The bank account was tied to a 74-unit apartment building in Williamsburg which was $40million in debt.
According to court documents seen by the Daily News, bank statements revealed that operating reports for the building 'may have been tampered with' to conceal the missing money.
Court filings at Brooklyn Bankruptcy Court also stated that $200,000 in cash was missing and other money had mysteriously vanished.
After they filed for bankruptcy in 2009, Stark and Perlmutter had been ordered to keep the building operational from the account.
The business partners' accounts were reviewed following the chilling abduction and murder of 39-year-old Stark, a father-of-seven.
South Side House in Williamsburg, Brooklyn which left Stark and his business partner Perlmutter $40million in debt
Court-appointed trustee Jonathan Flaxer said that he wanted to depose Perlmutter, 42, over the missing money, according to the News.
A lawyer who was paid $150,000 from the building account in November was ordered to repay the money this week after he refused to say who or what the money was for.
In the days before his brutal death, Stark had begged business associates to lend him a six-figure amount and had a Borough Park developer put up half a million dollars for him.
Last week it emerged that a contractor was a possible suspect in the murder of Stark.
The suspect has been linked to a Dodge minivan that was used to abduct Stark outside his real estate firm during a blizzard on January 2.
Police said on Thursday that they suspect Stark may have been killed over a single $20,000 debt that he owed to one individual. The landlord owed millions to various creditors.
It was suggested by investigators that Stark's death may have been accidental with the kidnap intended to scare him into coming up with the money.
A contractor whom murdered slumlord Menachem Stark owed $20,000 has been connected to the minivan used in his abduction in Brooklyn, New York earlier this month
The contractor suspect has also been connected to a cellphone which investigators found attached under Stark's car.
The phone is believed to have been used to track Stark's whereabouts before he was
snatched off the street.
Police told the New York Post that associates of the individual that Stark owed money may have grabbed him.
On Tuesday, police
found the 2002 Dodge minivan with Pennsylvania plates which was caught
on surveillance footage during Stark's abduction.
The van was found in Brownsville, Brooklyn but appears to have been washed and wiped clean, police sources said.
Detectives seized the vehicle as a man got in and tried to drive off. The man was questioned by police but not charged.
Footage released last week showed one of the suspects walking from the van past Mr Stark's office, before returning to the vehicle where he remained for hours.
Strulowitz and Abraham Buxbaum, brothers-in-law of the victim have
offered a $25,000 reward to find his killer. No arrests have yet been
Stark - who rented out properties riddled with violations - is believed to have been targeted by someone he owed money.
A suspect in the kidnap and murder of Stark is seen on security camera footage on the night of January 2
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Jan Peter Schmittmann, wife and daughter found dead on SaturdayTheir bodies were discovered by Schmittmann's elder daughter The former top banker came under fire for ...
- Historic Santa Fe railroad hotel where Teddy Roosevelt once entertained guests is to be restored to its former glory
- Fox executive of 25 YEARS is fired for using her company email account to raise money for the family members of those who disappeared on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370
- Tetra Pak heir who lost wife in drugs tragedy to wed White Mischief aristocrat's granddaughter haunted by suicide of fashionista sister
- Putin's' secret army. . . hellbent on war
- What a pot we got! Thought that Chinese urn on your sideboard was junk? So did these people - and look what they made!
- Raffaele Sollecito brings new girlfriend to Kercher murder home in Perugia -- and his father thinks it's a good idear scene in Perugia
- Parody Twitter account of Peoria, Ill., mayor leads to police raid after politician directs law enforcement to find out who's behind the joke
- Get a room, mate! Tony Blair and Hollywood star Antonio Banderas hang out on hotel balcony overlooking Spanish Easter parade
- Body found at side of Massachusetts highway said by authorities to be 5-year-old Jeremiah Oliver, whose disappearance took three months to be reported
- One lump or two? How any drink can be given that extra kick now that powdered alcohol could become a reality by the end of the year